Visual Passage Planner 2
Visual Passage Planner 2 (VPP2) available from Digital Wave was designed to bring the power of the computer to the passage planning process. VPP2 automates the tedious, time consuming task of evaluating passage conditions and then estimating passage elapsed times with pen and paper. Using VPP2, many "what-if" scenarios can be played out in the time it would take to manually calculate one route using traditional methods, allowing selection of the best route.
In fact, VPP2 now has an automatic Route Optimization Feature that lets VPP2 do most of the hard work when it comes to selecting a route. Based on various wind, current, wave height and other Pilot Chart based weather information within VPP2, waypoints may be moved by mouse or keyboard to optimize a route. The Automatic Route Optimization feature in VPP2 will even try to maximize or minimize any of the many route parameters (i.e. minimize route time while also minimizing wave heights). The Instant Reports feature gives you continuous feedback on the passage in real-time as the changes are made. Further optimization of the route can be made right up to departure time and with a laptop computer aboard, VPP will continue to provide updates during the passage and predict your noon-positions as you progress.
Some of the features of VPP2 include:
• Global 1:1,000,000 scale map.
• Worldwide Pilot Chart data at 1-degree resolution.
• Detailed database of over 4600 ports.
• Automatic route optimization based on user defined parameters.
• Graphical wind, current and weather overlays.
• New 'Instant Reports' feature.
• Mercator, Cartesian and Spherical map projections.
• VPP2 is fully compatible with Windows 95, 98, Me, NT, 2000, XP and compliant with the latest Microsoft operating systems, including Windows Vista and Windows 7 (both 32 and 64 bit versions).
This software is essential for passage planning and allows untold variations, possibilities and will save hours of time. You can also download a free demo version of the software directly from Digital Wave.